Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chapter 1: Is everything an argument

I thought it was interesting that you can have so many different types of arguments. I have had my fair share of arguments, but I never really stopped and thought about what category they fell under. The author(s) do a great job at convincing the reader that everything really can be an argument because if you break down each situation, sign, statement, etc., there is some sort of reason behind everything. Most people, like me, might not go that in depth when considering if the choice of food they ate at lunch is an argument, but if you look close enough, it is. If I chose to eat a filling breakfast that included eggs and oatmeal, instead of a pop tart, I would be doing this because I thought the latter would not fill me up. They used so many examples that included simple thoughts that backed up many things they said.

As interesting as it was to hear how some of the simplest things or choices we make can be considered arguments, I thought it was a little much to think that every single thing I do is an argument. I respect their examples and reasoning, but I do not agree that every possible thing is an argument. Sometimes I choose to do something because I want to. It is something I feel. It could be playing a game, going to a movie, or eating at a restaurant. When I do these things, I do not take the time to consider other options, and rule things out, I choose what I do because that's what sounds good at the moment. I do not argue it against something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment