Monday, January 12, 2009

Hello

My name is Kyle Arnold, and I am a junior at Texas Christian University. I am currently a broadcast journalism major with a criminal justice minor. I was born and raised in Austin, Texas, and I love it there. I try to go back home as much as possible, but I do love my new home in Fort Worth.

I am a huge sports fan, and I hope to get a job in sports journalism when I graduate. I root for the Houston Astros, Green Bay Packers, North Carolina Tar Heels, and of course, any TCU team. GO FROGS!

At TCU, I am involved with Frog Camp and FrogHouse, among other things. I am serving as a director for both programs this year, and I am extremely excited for the upcoming months where I will be crazy busy with these two programs. If you do not know much about either of the programs, feel free to ask me about what they are and/or how to get involved.


I did take this course because it is required for me to graduate; however, I hope to become a better writer when I am done with this course. As a broadcast journalism major, writing is kind of what I do. It is drastically different from writing papers for class, though there are some common guidelines. You always want to get the point across, regardless if you are writing an anchor script or a research paper; the main difference is when writing for TV, you have a limited amount of time to reach your audience. I am also a firm believer that one can always get better at writing, so no matter how good I think I am, I know I can get better.


I do a lot of TV and newspaper writing, and as a college student, I am constantly texting, emailing, and facebooking people. I feel as a journalism major, I have become faster at typing, and I owe that to basically doing all of my work on the computer. I like the journalism type of writing more so than the academic kind, filled with term papers and book reports, because I feel you can have more fun when writing a column or a TV script. Also, instead of just turning in a paper for a grade in class, my TV packages will go on TV, and my news stories will be published in newspapers. It's exciting to read something you wrote that anyone in the world can access.


My university involvement is strong, as I am a part of Frog Camp and FrogHouse. Through these programs, I am privileged enough to meet many of the new students coming to TCU. With this, a student's first impression is based on how well they liked the program I helped set up or how well he/she liked me. It is a huge responsibility, and it is a ton of fun at the same time.


My hometown of Austin, Texas is extremely important to me. I love it there, and for those who have visited this place, some think it is kind of weird (AND THAT IS THE WAY WE LIKE IT!). It is weird in the sense of you can find just about any type of person in Austin, and you can do many different types of things. It is a huge melting pot, and there is something for everyone in Austin. It is my home, and I am proud to say that.


Based on what I have read from the book and what I have said in my first post, I feel I am making an argument based on the type of person I am. By mentioning my activities and likes, I feel I have shown that I am a person who likes to be involved and likes to be active. I have voiced strong opinions when talking about my hometown and other things, but they have not been overbearing, be all end all type statements. As much as I love Austin, I understand if someone does not. That is kind of the main idea I have tried to incorporate in this first post is that I am open to a lot of different things, people, and ideas. I will draw my own conclusions and I have my own opinions, but I do respect other ideas and opinions. This also applies to how I plan to act and participate in this class. I like to make my voice heard, but I don't like to prevent others from doing the same.

I have read the syllabus, and I understand and agree to all the terms and conditions in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment