Wednesday, February 25, 2009

In class writing on research (pre-writing)

Some concerns I have about my research:
My main concern is that my sources might be a little too similar. But, I think the similarities are okay because the differences lie in how my topic is covered in the different areas of the media.

I feel like I could have a few more specific sources related to my topic as well.

However, I do feel satisfied with what I have, and I think it will make for a solid paper. Although the information is similar, the way it is presented and covered is definitely different.

Four Questions:

I feel like all of my sources are primary because they come from the media. My topic is analyzing how TCU football is covered in the media, and all my sources stem from that.

I chose my sources because they cover college, local, and national mediums. I have one from the TCU Daily Skiff, two from ESPN.com, and one from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. They cover all the bases so to speak, and they are all geared toward what I am trying to argue.

I narrowed my topic to how TCU was covered during the signing of recruits process, and the aftermath of that. All of the sources focus on that, and they evaluate how TCU did in regard to other schools. In different ways, they all explain how TCU is no longer the David in the fight...they are becoming the Goliath.

All sources had legitimate factual and statistical evidence to support the ranging opinions made about why TCU has potential to do some damage next year. No where in any of these sources was there rambling and nonsense. It was all good opinions that had sufficient back up to the claims the different authors were making.

3 comments:

  1. QUESTIONS ABOUT SOURCES:
    -Are they any non-media sources you could look at?
    -Other aspects on TCU Football that could be another point to cover?

    REGARDING YOUR CONCERNS:
    I think that despite them all being about the same topic, they are presented differently. Again it may be interesting to look at other forms of media to find information out of, such as books or things of the sort.

    CONTROLLING IDEA:
    The controlling idea to me is how TCU is portrayed in these different types of media, so I agree with what you have said.

    FURTHER IDEAS:
    I can't think of much, but maybe doing an interview with someone involved in TCU Football or Sports Writing could be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my sources all have the same focus in common: TCU football is now competing with the preimier programs in Texas and the nation in terms of recruitng. The differences come into play with regard to how much coverage each medium gives to the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of potentially interviewing someone in the media or within the TCU football program to get their take on my topic.

    ReplyDelete